How simple, healthy and delicious can it get. Try this whole food plant based recipe out sometime. Most of the ingredients except the whole grain pasta and lentils were purchased at Heart Beet Organics at the Charlottetown Farmer’s Market. Missing from the picture are fresh basil and the STAR of the show with a whopping 12g of protein/quarter cup, not to mention a myriad of other health benefits: green lentils. Let us know what you think! You can adjust the recipe to add veggies of your choice.
Here’s the recipe:
* ½ cup green lentils
* 2 cups fusilli or rotini pasta
* 1 15oz can diced tomatoes
* ½ cup leeks
* 1 clove garlic
* 2¼ tsp Italian seasoning
* 2 small Italian eggplant
* ½ tsp white wine vinegar
* 2 tbsp fresh basil
* Place the lentils in a small saucepan and add 1½ cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the lentils are just cooked, about 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside, but do not drain.
* Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package instructions until al dente (avoid overcooking). Drain well and set aside.
* In a sauté pan over medium heat, combine the tomatoes with their juice, leeks, garlic, and Italian seasoning and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in the eggplant and cook partially covered, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant is completely cooked, about 15 to 20 minutes.
* Add the drained pasta, the lentils with their cooking liquid, and the vinegar to the pan. Toss everything together gently until well-combined.
* Cook until heated through, adding up to ¼ cup water if the mixture seems too dry. Taste and adjust seasoning.
* Sprinkle with the basil and serve immediately.