Preparation time: 10 to 15 minutes Baking time: 18-20 minutes
Makes 1 dozen muffins
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
l tsp. baking powder
l tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup nondairy milk (rice, soy, almond, etc.)
1/4 cup Sucanat
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
For the Topping:
6 tbsp. Sucanat (or raw sugar)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cups raw oats (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners (or use a nonstick pan).
3. Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
4. In a separate large bowl, mix together bananas (you can mash them right in the mixing bowl), milk and Sucanat.
5. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and stir until well mixed. Add the walnuts (if using) and spoon the mixture into the muffin cups.
6. For the topping, mix together Sucanat and cinnamon (and oats, if using) in a small bowl. Combine with a fork until crumbly. Press on top of muffins.
7. Bake in a preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean. Cool slightly before serving.
RECIPE FROM THE CHINA STUDY COOKBOOK BY LEANNE CAMPBELL, PHD