|<ahref=”http://waytoeat.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/burger.jpg”>Makes 6 pattiesServe these delicious patties on whole-wheat buns with all the condiments for a delicious, healthy, and low-fat burger.
1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed, or 2 cups cooked black beans
black pepper, to taste
salt, to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons finely chopped mushrooms
2 tablespoons finely chopped carrot
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1/2 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs (see note to make your own)
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats(not instant)
cooking spray or oil
Mash beans with fork or potato masher, leaving some texture. Mix all ingredients with your hands. It will be very thick. Form into 6 patties.
Lightly spray a frying pan with cooking spray, or wipe with oil. Brown patties on both sides.
• To make bread crumbs, process whole-wheat bread in food processor or blender briefly.
• You can substitute any beans for variation in taste and texture.
• You can leave out the chopped veggies, or add other finely chopped
veggies, such as bell pepper, zucchini, and celery.
• Feel free to play with different seasonings. You can taste the
mixture before cooking and adjust seasonings.
• This mixture will hold together well enough to grill on a barbeque.
- Calories: 110
- Fat: 1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.2 g
- Calories from Fat: 7.4%
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Protein: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 20 g
- Sugar: 0.8 g
- Fiber: 6.4 g
- Sodium: 259 mg
- Calcium: 46 mg
- Iron: 1.8 mg
- Vitamin C: 1.1 mg
- Beta Carotene: 205 mcg
- Vitamin E: 0.1 mg
Source: The Cancer Project cooking instructor, Delisa Renideo